More Photos from the Pier

As I was digging about in the chest freezer in the basement a couple of days ago,  I came across three turkey breasts we had bought right after Christmas when they were being clearanced.  They were such a good value and the family loves a good turkey dinner anytime….not just Thanksgiving!

I placed a turkey breast in the oven this afternoon and then left for Canandaigua to pick up some things I would need to make a good meal.  The turkey only needed to be in the oven for a couple of hours, so I figured it would work out well for me, leaving the house at about 1 pm.

Before doing my grocery shopping, I immediately went to the city pier to see what might be begging for a photo.  I certainly was not disappointed!

Not too sure what these ducks are, other than a Mallard hybrid! They had the bright green heads, just like Mallard drakes.

I caught another “odd duck” sleeping on a dock….it looked so sweet!

In years past, the Canandaigua Lady spent the winter months docked down in Woodville.  The property where she docked was sold not too long ago and this winter she was moored parallel to the city pier.  Here is a rare-to-me shot of the backside paddlewheels.

I went back over to the other side of the pier and was pleasantly surprised to see several Coots swimming about in the waves! I had seen many, many of them along the lake as I drove the lake road to Canandaigua today.  Instead of being all “clumped” together as they were previously, they were spread out sporadically for about a mile. 

I did catch one of the little Coots coming in for a landing on the water.

For those who are unfamiliar with Coots, (as I was before about a month or two ago!) they have “scalloped toes as opposed to webbed feet”,  as per Wikipedia.   In the photo below, you can see they have relatively long little legs!

I had never heard them vocalize until this afternoon.  They have a very unique little “squawk” that is as distinct sounding as they are to see!

As I walked along the pier, there really wasn’t an abundance of waterfowl present.  It was a beautiful day and there were a lot of cars parked and people walking about on the pier.

I came upon a Mallard female who was working quite intensely on her hygiene.  I don’t think she even knew I was there with my camera! She bobbed about, dipping her body into the water, coming up, and shaking off.  I happened to catch her scratching her face with her foot….

I am not thrilled nor especially fond of (noisy, noisy, NOISY) Seagulls, but they did look kind of cute standing in a row on the rocks along the pier….

And, I did catch a Mallard coming in for a landing.  I keep practicing these shots….I really want to get them right!

That was enough time at the pier, as I needed to go to a couple of stores.  I rushed about, picking up the things I needed.  Just as I finished up, the skies opened and rain came down in great waves!  I pulled over and just sat for a bit…it was raining that hard!

Once the rain began to slow down,  I headed towards home.  I generally opt for a couple of different routes, but today, I decided to go another way.  I wanted to go past the ski mountain to see if they were still open.

The road where the skiing is located is a state road….two lanes, but with a 55 mile per hour speed limit in most areas.  I was moving right along, thinking about the dishes I was going to make and trying to prioritize what to do in what order.  It was as I was thinking about the meal that I came across the most unusual couple walking alongside the highway!

Yes, there are ponds and even a creek running along this road, but this dear little couple needs to watch out!I did have to smile that the little buggers were walking far to the side of the road!  When I saw them, I pulled off the road to take a photo and one of them opened its wings and began flapping to warn me to stay away. Good grief!

I was on my way once again. Sure enough, there were diehard skiers out there on the slopes in the rain!

As soon as I entered the house, I went into gear to make dinner.  I made mashed red potatoes, stuffing, and green beans with butter and garlic.  I had gotten home at 3:30 and we sat down to eat at 4:45.  I was feeling rather smug as everyone made comments on how good everything tasted!

What a productive day!

5 Responses

  1. Excellent set of photographs. 2 comments.

    1. Best identifier for a Mallard or Mallard cross is not the head colour, but the little curl it has on it’s tail!

    2. Ate you sure that coot was landing? Most birds run on the water during take-off. Lovely shot though.

  2. WOW! You sure did have a productive day! The geese do look funny just strolling along the side of the road! I’ve seen them in the road over by McDonald’s walking along….stopping traffic! Your dinner sounds fantastic! You should see some of these huge fifth wheels and conversion buses and Class A’s…..just beautiful….what a place to dream!!

  3. hehehe, Terri….a coot really IS a grumpy old man! But it’s also these birds!

    Thank you, Bill! I saw the curls on the behinds of the ducks, thinking they were unique to Mallards, but I wasn’t sure. The green heads were so intense….they looked just like the Mallard heads, except they weren’t a solid green! And as far as the Coot was concerned, I really thought it was landing, as it suddenly showed up inthe viewfinder as I was panning the water! (yeah, every now and then I get lucky!)

    Jeanne, I was so nervous about those geese. Wish I could have scared them off! (the road, that is!) One day we went to an RV dealership and I went through a $500,000 bus. It had tile floors and awesome cherry cabinets, the like of which I have never seen before. All of the furniture was leather and the thing looked like one could live VERY comfortably there. For that price…..well, yes….dream on….

Leave a Reply