A Little Excitement Today!

This afternoon, we needed to take a little trip to Staples (office supply store) to purchase some tax software. Yes, April 15 isn’t *too* far off, is it? Mark had spotted a good deal on Turbo Tax, so he wanted to pick it up while it was on sale.

We pulled into the plaza where Staples is located, and Mark and Ben went in ahead of me. I had to gather up some wrappers and cups from the truck to throw away. Mark and Ben entered the store and after visiting the waste receptacle, (yes, everyone on the face of the earth laughs hysterically as I refer to the “trash can” as the “waste receptacle”!) I walked over to the door to enter the store. As I was about to enter, it became apparent that the automatic sliding door was not sliding! An employee came to the door and pushed it open and told me to come on in..

Mark was sitting near the entrance past another set of doors, waiting for me. We were advised that the power had gone out in the store and they were using battery backup.  Thankfully, Mark had called ahead to the store earlier, so we had most of our goods waiting at customer service when we arrived.

Mark wanted to shop, but the girls there were so anxiety-ridden as they told us we had better shop quickly, as the backup power might not last very long. They also told us that because of the power loss, we might not be able to use a credit card for our purchase.  At this point, Michelle called on the cell phone (she wanted to sit in the truck instead of coming in with us) wanting to know if we were aware of the firetrucks in the parking lot.

We decided we had better just pay and go back later to see if the power was restored. We made our purchase and walked out to find three firetrucks parked not too far away from our truck.



Well, I told my dear readers that I don’t go anywhere without my camera! We watched the firemen for a little while…two men were up on the roof of the building, while others waited below. We were told by one of the firefighters that something had made a “loud banging” noise on the roof just a few minutes before we entered the store.

We finally pulled out after a few minutes and went to another store we had planned to visit.  We went back to Staples about an hour later, and evertyhing was back to normal. The girls told us that a transformer blew on the roof above a tanning salon, shutting down the power. They said that the firemen found the faulty transformer with some sparks and flames beginning to flare up.

We shopped for a couple more items and then were on our way back home…another exciting little shopping trip under our belts!

2 Responses

  1. Well, Dear reader! hehehe

    Excitement….I dunno! It is funny you should ask this question. Many years ago, in the 80’s, I decided I needed to visit a craft supply store. This store was HUGE!!! It was located in an antiquated building….I took along a girl who lived down the road, as she loved crafting. We drove over an hour to get to the store. (I had passed this place so many, many times when we drove to Erie, Pennsylvania. I had always wanted to stop, but never had the time. Thus, this was such an exciting trip for me!)
    Well, Debbie and I looked all around the store and had such a good time. That night, as I watched the 6 o’clock news, that same craft store had burned to the ground just a few hours after we had visited. I felt so saddened, as I had planned to return again…That was too weird for me, but I was glad I had been able to see the place before such a tragedy demolished it. I do believe that was a faulty electrical device as well.

Leave a Reply