The Great Darien Lake Escape…


We arrived at Darien Lake yesterday at about 3 pm. Although the skies were a little foreboding, it had not rained all day, and we thought we were fairly safe.  The kids got in a ride or two, and then……..this!


Suddenly, all of the game arcades were full of people seeking refuge from the downpour. And, I *do* mean downpour! The rain hit the ground and bounced so high.  This little girl seemed not the least bit disturbed by the rain. In fact, she seemed to be rather enjoying the deluge!


Carly had taken the big kids over to another ride, before the rain approached,  and Erin decided to stay behind with Mark and me.  We remained inside for about half an hour. We went back out after the rain stopped and within minutes, the scene repeated itself!

Carly said the kids had gotten onto a ride when the operator of the ride was relieved by another employee.  As the change ocurred, the heavens opened up….on the ride AND the kids. The relief operator had to put on his raincoat before running the ride.  The kids were getting soaked clean to the bone! But I do believe they had fun anyway! They definitely had a ball, in spite of the soaking.

As you can see from the picture below, we were caught in a cell of dark skies and threats of yet more rain.


Since the kids were so wet, they decided to hike on over to the water park.  As we walked along, I spotted this Hibiscus, which remained cheerful and beautiful, no matter how much rain fell on it!!!


Welcome to Hook’s Lagoon! We had to wait outside the gates until the storm cells passed, as there had been some thunder accompanying this storm.  The lifeguards stayed at their posts,  and we anxiously stood in line.


The big barrel below is one of the highlights of the water area. When it fills up…..


The kids gather underneath it and…………….


We remained here until nearly 6 pm. Then we left the park to grab some dinner.  We went on down the road to a small place called John and Mary’s where we enjoyed a delicious sheet pizza.  The kids were able to hang out and relax a bit while we waited and we ate outside.

We returned to the park at about 8, and the kids rode and played until about 9:30.  I never realized jusst how tired I was from our Wednesday adventure until we were on our way home!

Mark took the picture below….the sky was so beautiful before the day came to an end. All in all, we had a very good time, and it was especially perfect because Erin’s birthday is TODAY! Happy 8th Birthday, Erin!!!


2 Responses

  1. Great pictures! We were so exhausted by the time we got home that I tried to watch a movie with Jeff and wound up falling asleep. Erin and Sarah were so excited after spending the day with your kids that they stayed awake the whole way home.

  2. Lovely sunset photo, Kae! Looks like two great photographers in the same family! 😉 We were at Geauga Lake once with storms like this…I must say, it was the best trip ever! The park cleared out after the first downpour…and the lines were really fast for the rides once they reopened. The park didn’t start filling up again until after suppertime.

Leave a Reply